This course is ideal for teachers, individuals training in teaching and teaching assistants with little or no basketball teaching experience who are working in a primary or secondary education environment. It has been developed to provide learners with the confidence to deliver engaging basketball sessions.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the basic rules of the game
- Identify individual and team basketball activities for key stage 1 and 2 through a game-based approach
- Understand the differences between traditional basketball (5 v 5) and the preferred Sporting Schools model of 3 x 3
- Describe how basketball can contribute to supporting the development of non sports skills in the classroom.
Duration and format
This is delivered in a modular learning format, delivered in roughly 2.5 hours. Learners are required to:
- Have access to good Wi-Fi
- Have access to a laptop or tablet
- Be conducive to learning (e.g. appropriate lighting, temperature, noise levels and limited distractions)
The cost of the course is $20 per person. Schools can purchase multiple courses on behalf of staff if they wish.
This course can directly lead onto completion of a community coaching course and further learning or training in the area of coaching basketball and/or other related areas.